By Morgan International Staff Writers
Now you’ve attained the status of Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), you’ll need to meet the requirements of your professional body with regard to continuing professional education, or CPE.
All you have to do to maintain your CIA certification is complete and report the required number of CPE credit hours each year, referencing the courses or events you’ve attended, and learning activities undertaken.
Use CCMS Online
CPE credit hours should be reported by 31st December each year via the IIA’s online portal, the Certification Candidate Management System (CCMS). Candidates who live outside North America may need to report the information directly to their IIA Affiliate.
A new requirement for 2018 is that at least two CPE credit hours should be completed in the area of Ethics.
So what might be the best types of education and learning activities to undertake, and how do you access them?
Registry of CPE Providers and Other Learning Opportunities
The Chartered IIA has developed a registry of approved CPE providers to help you assess and choose suitable activities, but you can also carry out other forms of continuing professional education.
Activities might include:
- Attending international conferences, seminars, workshops, or other programs
- Completing internal and external training courses
- Presenting at events
- Carrying out research and writing articles on audit-related issues
- Volunteering to help the IIA, on a local, national, or international basis
- Reading Internal Auditor Magazine, and answering questions on the content
- Login to the Certification Candidate Management System using your username and password
- Select ‘Complete a Form’
- Navigate to the appropriate CPE Reporting Form
- Enter the details of your credit hours, and activities/learning undertaken
- Submit the form
Steps to Reporting your CPE Credit Hours on CCMS
Don’t forget to keep your contact details up-to-date on CCMS, as regular email reminders regarding CPE reporting will be sent to you prior to the 31st December deadline.
For more information on maintaining your CIA certification, have a look through our website or get in touch with one of the team. We’ll provide valuable guidance on CPE activities, your reporting obligations, and how you can meet them.